Bok Bar is located on the 8th floor of the historic Bok building in South Philadelphia. The vast northfacing roof terrace has unobstructed views across Philadelphia, and one of the most breathtaking sunsets in the city. The bar began life in 2015 as a temporary pop-up bar, Le Bok Fin, which marked the beginning of Bok’s new life as a center for creativity in Philadelphia. During 2016 the bar was reincarnated under it’s permanent identity as Bok Bar, supported by permanent infrastructures including a new deck, canopy, internal and external serving bars, kitchen and new lighting. The new additions provide a strong backdrop to enable a variety of objects, situations and events. OVERALL VISION For 2017 we are adding a layer of furniture to Bok Bar that amplifies the sense of creativity, arrival and experience.
We are seeking designs that support a casual, honest and unpretentious atmosphere. Requirements and context
• Support conversation; from the first date to the work happy hour and encourage happy collisions amongst the crowd.
• The furniture should present a menagerie of possibilities – a rich and diverse collection of characters.
• Use of reclaimed / found materials where possible.
• Seating for over 150 patrons.
• Be experimental; think of the existing context as a canvas for variety and surprise – like the background space of a gallery, or the framework of a city – into which almost anything is possible.
• Consider weather durability (strong winds, storms, sun exposure) and use durability, as well as the ability to move and reconfigure furniture as required (e.g. events) without scratching or impacting the deck.